I’m gathering resources here for writers of queer romance. This is a work in progress. I will gladly take any recommendations you have for resources. I will keep adding to this list.
Resources with big archives/many links:
- The Hopeless Romantic podcast focuses on queer romance, and spends a bunch of time talking craft.
- Read With Pride Northwest was a conference centering on queer genre fiction. You can access info about past cons on their site. For videos of past panels, try their youtube channel.
- Queer Romance Month is an event that occurred in 2014 & 2015, where queer romance writers created a bunch of content for pride month. The archives are a great resource.
- Story Hospital is one of my favorite writing resources. If you have a specific question about something you are working on, I highly recommend asking StoryNurse.
- NSFW: Queer and Sexy Resources for Authors of Romance and Erotica a resource list put together by E.E. Ottoman.
- A collection of essays and resources about writing trans and/or non-binary literature.
- My resource list on writing the other.
Individual blog posts and interviews:
- Writing Lesbian Fiction, an interview with Clare Lydon.
- A Chat With Cat Sebastian About Writing Queer Characters in Historical Romance.
- On Comparisons: Writing Trans Characters in Same-Gender Romance by Austin Chant.
- On obligatory scenes in trans romance by Austin Chant.
- An interview with Brigitte Bautista on Bibliosapphic.
- An interview with NG Peltier on Bibliosapphic.
- An interview with CB Lee on Bibliosapphic.
- On the Presumed Heterosexual Cisgender Audience and Writing LGBT Romance by E.E. Ottoman. A response post by Alexis Hall: The Rest is Drag.
- On writing an aromantic comedy by Daria Defore.
- Never take writing advice from me (AKA How I Write Books) by Daria Defore.
- StoryHospital’s post on Showing, Telling, and Tension in Romance.
Things I’ve written, from this site and elsewhere on the web:
- My column on Erotica Readers & Writers Association may be useful, especially when thinking about writing sex & BDSM
- My post on consent and negotiation in kink life and kink fiction
- I have begun to write a blog series on writing sex scenes with trans characters that have less cissexism. Part 1 on cissexism between characters. Part 2 on story level trans-exclusion.
- My thread on writing strap-on sex.
- Here are some writing resources on this blog that may be useful.
- My twitter lecture on “Ways to Introduce that a Character Is Trans (& Pitfalls to Avoid)” for #NotRWA17 (Links to all the NotRWA17 threads)